Friday, November 22, 2013





 Little Bird  

There is a part of you that smiled when it tore out my tongue.
I saw it, underneath the stain.
You tried to cover it with your alcohol soaked pillow,
Your tear streaked blanket.

Trying to hide how proud you were
As your yellowed curtains drowned us.


And solid white teeth slipped over my lips.
A cry got stuck in my throat, 
Like a thread pulled too tight.

The muscles contract. 
Cramp up. 
Go limp.

Some piece of you clings to my rib cage.
I can feel it, under the heavy cloud of sleep.
Trying to claw its way free in the darkness.

I am always so still.

Waiting for that moment
When it all finally collapses.

The canary, fluttering around blind,
Smacking its beak against my chest,
Finds a way out.

And a sigh escapes me
Like it makes any difference.

The bones move, expand before they break.

No comments:

Post a Comment